Sunday, March 11, 2012


3) I went to Abercrombie and Fitch and Hollister in Glendale. Both if these stores are part of the Abercrombie company, therefore they are quite similar in many ways. Their products are very much alike and their target customers are teens. The display in both stores are alike too. They are both very dark; this gives it a different look. Teens these days like it like that I guess. The stores are filled with pictures of models. The guy models are really buff. Obviously by putting these guys on the walls they get teenage girls attention and have them come in. By doing this, they're sending a message to girls, that dressing in Abercrombie or Hollister, they will get you a guy like that. And that's what the products mean (wear "hot", "summery" outfits and you'll get a guy). I can even get into the fact that every article of clothing has cologne sprayed on it; the whole store smells like cologne, do the customer walks by, smells it, and wants to go in. The smell pulls them in. Hollister, specifically, is a very southern California type of store. The teens who shop there are mostly born and raised on So Cal, so the display really works because it's really what they like. The store looks like a beach or a pier. I really feel like the Abercrombie company has put in a lot of work into in order to get teens to go in and buy stuff; from the teen-friendly, casual clothes to the rock pop music the play to the models and the cologne smells. Even their bags have models on them and those bags advertise the stores. Overall, everything they've done has been a success; in high school every Armenian was dresses in either Abercrombie or Hollister.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Raffi, I remember when I was first introduced to these two brands. I was so amazed by how many people wore their logo and the cost of it was so much. I got into the trend back in high school, but I slowly got out of the phase of buying their product because it was like practically advertising their logo for them and you are paying for it. I stopped because one of my friend from cambodia told me that he got his shirt and jean for five dollars because the factorey was there , so I felt really dumb for spending over 20-40 for mine. Anyways the space there was very interesting when I first walked in there. It was like a whole new world and the environment change from a noist mall to this awesome view of a beach house theme. I never understood why they did this , but I got kind of annoyed after I went in there. The worker there are all good looking and they seem to be very happy all the time.It was not only the noise that affected me , but also the smell. EVen though the fragrance was good, I felt that it was too much. The product they have there seems very basic and there does not seem to be any art in it. The shirts I own from their company now are all gifts, but I still enjoy their clothing from now and then , but I would never consider purchasing it myself even if it was in the clearance section.
    The space there had a huge influence on me because , the models that were on display seem so happy and fit. It is funny because 95% of the time they are half naked and the only thing they would be wearing is the company's logo trunks. Everything in their store is all advertisement , that is the con about most of the clothing store in the mall. The space in Hollister and Abercrombie is influenced based on advertising. You explained the store very well, I like your analysis.

    ReplyDelete