Sunday, April 15, 2012

What I learned from reading "As Nature Made Him" is that you can't really create some one's gender. I believe God creates you a boy, so you can be a boy or He creates you a girl, to be a girl. "As Nature Made Him" further proved this to me, because it showed that the brain is different in males and females. The brain goes with the genitals. When Bruce turned into Brenda he wasn't comfortable with being a girl because he wasn't meant to be a girl. This tells you that it is more about nature, rather than nurture. You might change the outside but you can't change the inside. In cases where a baby is born with both genitals (that aren't fully formed), you can probably construct a gender but even then, the gender they were meant to be will probably be more dominant inside them. I really don't know. From what I can tell, is that if you take a boy who was born with normal male genitals, he will most likely be comfortable as a boy, no matter how much you treat him as a girl, dress him up as a girl, and give him dolls to play with. There is a lot more than just the body parts and what the person is supposed to act like; there is the whole psychological part of some one's gender and from what I learned you can't change that. You're born a certain way and it's meant to be that way. Artificially changing it doesn't work.

I really felt bad for David. He was born a totally normal boy and because of a stupid doctor his whole life changed. He could have lived a normal life as a boy, just like he was supposed to. Because of the accident during the circumcision, he had to be brought up as a girl. I think he would have grown up better as a boy without a penis, rather than a boy as a girl. He would have probably accepted the fact that he didn't have a penis but at least he would have looked and acted like a boy. I guess his parents had no other choice; it must have been really hard. I feel bad for them too. I think Doctor Money shouldn't have helped Bruce/Brenda/David out because he only caused more problems. He was the cause of growing Bruce up as a girl and he caused psychological problems for David (and his brother). Of course, Brenda became Bruce later on and he had a wife and lived with her and her children but he was unable to get everything to be normal. I can't imagine how normal his life could have been after all that. He committed suicide, which is very unfortunate and really sad, but I guess it makes sense though, he had a difficult time accepting himself as a girl and then couldn't really become a full guy. Overall, I really feel bad for him and what he had to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment