Sunday, April 22, 2012


I want to do my essay about Space. I think I'm either going to do it about society in the United States or the identity of rap music. I’m probably going to look at what our society is like; basically our culture and what we have come to be because of it; I might compare it to identity of other countries. I might look at how an immigrant changes from what they originally were to what they become after living in the United States for a long time. I can see that in my parents; they don’t seem to be the same people they were when they came here (about 25 years ago). When they talk to their relatives, in Armenia and Lebanon, they don’t understand each other as they did before. I can see that their values and outlook on life has changed. If I don’t do it on the society of the United States, then I’m going to do it on the identity of rap music. I will look at how the identity was constructed. I will also look at how it changed the space of different places. The last thing I will look at is the gender roles in rap music; for example, how male rappers usually get more famous and are more successful compared to female rappers. The radio plays many male rappers, like Drake, Kanye West, and Jay-Z but the only female rapper you ever hear on the radio is Nicki Minaj. It’s almost like the girls aren’t allowed to rap; it’s more of a guy thing and that probably has to do with the origins of rap music. Basi9cally, whether I write about American society or the identity of rap music I will incorporate space and what that does to the identity of a person or a group.

No comments:

Post a Comment